Question
Posted by: xxx1 | 2008/05/29

Smoking in pregnancy

Hi i have been trying to quit smoking however i find it very hard to just quit. I am smoking the lightest sigarette on the market which contains 0.1mg nicotine instead of the normal 0.11mg nicotine. I have cut down a lot but can't seem to quit altogether. Will this still have an effect on my baby?

It will have less effect than the higher doses.

4
Posted by: xxx1 | 2008/05/30

Hi Fee
Thanks for your posting. I have a 4 year old boy that is also extremely healthy and while pregnant with him i also smoked light sigarettes and less. The thing is how do they explain the death of my sister's baby and she never touched a smoke in her life? I had a stillborn baby and i insisted on doing tests to find out if my smoking harmed him and there was no nicotine or anything that i did that harmed him. I didn't even have nicotine in my blood that time. What's really hard is that everytime i deside today is the day that i am quitting i am smoking more. And i don't "think" about it i hardly smoke at all. I keep my hands busy with a hobby (scrap booking) and what i do then is light a sigarette and let it burn out without knowing i am doing it. Also what gets to me is i gave up coffee alltogether and i am a caffeine addict i used to drink about 30 cups of STRONG coffee a day and i am only having one cup a day now. Only in the mornings and at night time when i feel like coffee i have decaf coffee. I can't understand why i can give up coffee so easily but not smoking. I feel quilty everytime i light a smoke and i hate it. But i am trying hard to quit and the more i try the more i smoke so i think i must just cut down and take it day for day

Reply to xxx1
Posted by: Fee | 2008/05/30

Hi xxx1,

I totally understand what you going through. Its easy for someone to say that you should just stop, its really difficult, especially if you have been doing it for a long time. I do understand that we are putting our babies in danger, and its the last thing that we want to do. I am also on a lighter cig and trying to cut down. The postings on 2244 is really helpful and I will try to implement the system in my life. I do have a beautiful 2 and a half year babygirl, and was also smoking during my pregnancy with her. I also cut down drastically (not that I smoke much) but couldnt give it up altogether. My gynae said that if I really couldnt quit i should at least try to smoke a max of 2-3 a day. I must however admit that my daughter is very healthy, never had any sickness since birth besides one or two colds. She is very active and also very intelligent than most of her cousins the same age. Just hang in there xxx1, we need to actually get a support system to help us through this. I know that we will be able to quit however difficult. Just take it a day at a time, I surely will.

Reply to Fee
Posted by: Quinne | 2008/05/29

Do yourself a favour and read: "Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr... will change your life forever!!!!

Reply to Quinne
Posted by: bad girl | 2008/05/29

please read 2244 it can change your mind

Reply to bad girl