Question
Posted by: Em | 2008/05/26

smoking - heart attacks

hI,

I've often read in 'stop smoking' health guidelines, that after 10 years of having giving up smoking, the risk of a heart attack of the 10 year quitter is the same as for someone who has never smoked.

I don't see how this is true, as your arteries don't clear themselves of the fatty deposits built up from the smoking do they?
Or do they?

EM

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Fatty deposits will form if you are a smoker or a non-smoker. Smoking will however, increase your health risk by making the fatty deposits unstable, due to the fact that smoking is a very potent oxidant.

Kind regards