Question
Posted by: andy | 2004/10/29

Smoking & fertility

Dear GynaeDoc
I am 26 and have been smoking and using alcohol since the age of 14. I had a MC in May and are struggling to fall pregnant again. the pregnancy which I lost in may was my first. Could smoking and alcohol have an effect on a woman's ability to conceive?

Yes, smoking can interfere with fertility. Alcohol tends to cause problems in the fetus if you drink while pregnant. In men, alcohol can influence fertility.

2
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/29

andy,

A lot of research has been done on the effects of smoking and alcohol use on fertility. And as Jelly said it undeniably lowers both your own and hubby's fertility.

Smoking increases your chances of MC and servical cancer as well as abnormal growths in the are of the reproductive tract in women. Both alcohol and smoking (even second hand smoke) decreases the sperm quality and quantity.

Best to try and quit smoking and reduce your alcohol intake (it would be unreasonable to ask someone to give up all their alchol ;-). Try Staminogrow multivitamins which replaces all the essential fertility-enhancing vitamins and minerals that both you and your partner need. Every bit helps.....Good luck!

Reply to Golly
Posted by: Jelly | 2004/10/29

You just have to do a little research on the net to find out that - yes - it does - definately.

Reply to Jelly