Posted by: A | 2008/09/03

My wife is pregnant with our first child. She is smoking about 10 a day. I want her to stop smoking but she refuse. Can this smoking harm my baby ?

Dear A

There is a large body of evidence, which proves that smoking during pregnancy is certainly associated with adverse outcomes including pre-maturity and decrease fetal growth amongst others.

Answered by: Dr. M.I.Cassim

Posted by: mm | 2008/09/08

Sorry to hear that your wife is being so stubborn.

My mum always said that she couldn' t see what the big hype was about smoking during pregnancy bcos she smoked throughout both her pregnancies &  we turned out fine.

Guess what - we did not turn out fine. My sister has allergy related asthma &  i' m in my 30' s &  have started showing sign of asthma.

Did both of you decide to have this baby or did she fall pregnant unexpectdly??

When i found out i was pregnant (6 months after I got married) i was not impressed. I was not planning on starting a family so soon &  i did rebel for a while but then realised that i had to start taking care of myself for the health of my child so that i do not have more complications later on which i will regret &  which may have a negative impact on my child' s future.

U' re probably tired of hearing this but it does have a lot to do with hormones. Maybe your wife is not sure how to react to being pregnant. Maybe she sees the child as someone who' s going to force her to make drastic changes in her life &  she not quite ready to accept that yet - case in point giving up smoking. Although a healthy option irrespective of the circumstance - quite a drastic lifestyle change non the less.

Speak to your wife - see whats really the problem. We females are a strange species but you gotta love us  -)

Reply to mm