Question
Posted by: Tania | 2007/03/01

Smoking and weight gain

I have recently stopped smoking. with regular exercise like walking/running and doing Herbalife is is true that I shouldn't gain weight? Surely if I dont substitute food for cigarettes I should be fine?

Dear Tania
Well done for stopping smoking, you won't regret it. You should not gain weight if your are doing plenty of aerobic exercise like brisk walking and running on a daily basis and reducing your energy intake slightly with a diet that is moderately reduced in energy. The weight gain associated with stopping smoking is usually due to the fact that people start eating sweets, etc, to satisfy their cravings for oral satisfaction. In some cases, however, weight gain occurs because food is metabolised more efficiently once you stop smoking and this can be counteracted by the exercise and an adjustment in energy intake.
Keep up the good work

2
Posted by: Tania | 2007/03/01

Anybody who has stopped smoking and not put on any weight please let me know what you've done to keep the weight off. Any tips? Thanks to Mike for your quick response

Reply to Tania
Posted by: Mike | 2007/03/01

You shouldn't gain any weight.
Smoking increases metabolism slightly because your body tries to get rid of the toxins.
So that is one of the reasons why people who stop smoking gain weight.
So by doing regular exercise it will increase your metabolism more than smoking used to and in a much healthier way.
Well done for stopping Tania !!!!

Reply to Mike