Question
Posted by: lee | 2008/01/03

smoking and pregnant POST 2381

I forgot to say that I am taking extra vit. c (2000 mg p/d) to assist with the effects of smoking. Is this ok and can I use additional vitamins? Please advise.

Thank you.

Taking extra vitamins will not help with the effects of smoking and can be harmful. Take the standard multivitamin.

2
Posted by: LeeT | 2008/01/03

Are you taking Folic Acid? I know smoking also depletes Folic Acid levels. Cleft palate has been associated with smoking - they think it is due to Folic Acid depletion. I took higher levels of Folic Acid than found in Pregnavit M etc... Also took Vitamin C.

I was in the same boat as you! I was smoking about 30 a day before I fell pregnant. As soon as I found out, I cut down drastically to about 5 a day. I then changed my brand to Dunhill Infinite and smoked about 4 of those a day. I've stopped now, but am still battling! I appreciate Chanty's advice re thinking of your little baby, but for me that just gave me HUGE guilt feelings, which made the craving for smoking even worse! Anxiety is not going to help to kick a very very powerful habit!

Just take it day at a time - you can stop! While you are battling, cut down to as few as you can. Every cig not smoked is a battle won!

There is nothing you can take safely, but you can try something like the Smokenders program. I believe it is very good.

To minimise any damage to LO and your placenta, smoke as little as possible, and stop completely by 16 weeks! Easier said than done I know!

Also, my hubby smokes too. I tried to give up 3 times before, but he was still smoking - it was impossible. I nagged until he stopped too - it is going much better this time! So, if you have a partner that smokes, get him to support you and stop smoking together.

Good luck!

Reply to LeeT
Posted by: chanty | 2008/01/03

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy.

Doesnt the smoking make you more nauseous? Lots of people have said it does.

Anyway, I dont think there is anything you can take for the smoking. I suggest that everytime you light up a smoke you think of your little baby trying to grow, but your smoke is suffocating it. I have read that there is a certain substance in cigarettes that is not good for the baby, besides the nicotine and tar. Just picture how you are damaging your little boy or girl.
This is the best advice I can give you.

The best of luck

regards

chanty
36w3d

Reply to chanty