Question
Posted by: Lana | 2004/10/22

Smoking and pregnancy

I am 9 weeks pregnant and still smoking. Now I have 2 questions:

1. Before I found out that I am pregnant, I used Zyban to quit smoking. Completed the whole course (obviously unsuccessfully). On the pamphlet I read that Zyban is not recommended for pregnant women. Should I be worried about any negative effects on my baby, and if, what kind of tests could be done to determine whether any harm was done?

2. I really want to quit (I am a heavy smoker, about 20-30 a day, which is WAY TO MUCH for any person, especially a mom-to-be!) Is there anything I can do that will not harm my baby in any way, to make the withdrawal symptoms easier to cope with?

Thank you in advance.

Zyban would have the same effects on the baby as smoking, i.e. decreased blood flow to the placenta. You could try hypnosis to stop smoking.