Question
Posted by: lavina | 2007/02/23

smoking

a friend of mine has started smoking as she heard it assists in weight loss... how do i convince her that this is a myth?

Dear Lavina
This is really a most serious error. Tell your friend that she should stop smoking ASAP because it will seriously harm her health. Try to reason with her - among other arguments, point out that many smokers are very overweight. Impress upon her that to lose weight the healthy way, she needs to reduce her energy intake by using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing her energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Hope you can convince your friend to stop this dangerous habit.

1
Posted by: Tanya | 2007/02/23

It is as true as it is not as I myself am a smoker but have been since 13 years old I stoped at one stage for a little over a month and ended up putting 12kgs on in that month. The truth part of it is that smoking suppresses a persons appetight so you are not realy hungry and that is apparently how it makes you loose weight but it is not some form of a diet. My advice to your friend is quit now while she still can its not a nice or healthy way to live.

Reply to Tanya