Question
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/26

Smoking

How can I get my Dh to realise the damage - he is asthmatic, goes through a pump in 1 or 2 weeks, I have counted the puffs, it is 10 at a time but he is convinced that it is only2 - he can't even see when I worked out that the puffs are around 200 in an inhaler so therefore the amount he takes each time equals that. His dad is emphysaemic, goes on nebuliser and then smoke in one hand, inhaler in the other and his mom claims to have pneumonia and pleurisy and one functioning lung but still puffs away so he does not exactly have a great role model.

I can see the damage it is doing to him but he just cannot see. Sometimes I feel like booking him into the local psychiatric clinic as a drug addict but I know if I do that he will come out worse than before just because he can.

He stinks - that "poor" kind of smoke smell. He thinks I am really dof as he sneaks a smoke inside when I am putting M into bed etc - at least I have got him to smoke "outside" - but I have really had enough here.

What a horible example of just how destructive and addictive smoking is ! It's examples like these that make it so believable that the big tobacco companies calculated carefully, over the years, how to most effectively get people hooked on their products. Smoking ALWAYS and in every single case, damages one's healthy --- even if they don't yet notice the impact, everyone who smokes is less healthy than they would otherwise be. And if one has asthma, it's really bad for one, let alone ephysema, etc, which are alreay signs of advanced lung damage.
But smokers are, while it is a legal product, allowed to damage themselves in this way. The best one can do is to protect the uncontaminated, and get them to smoke outside and not to force non-smokers to breathe the poisons in.

7
Posted by: Shackdweller | 2005/07/27

i am poor and i don't smell poor. because u r fotunate to have a education, always live in a house with a bath you think you rich or better ? maybe u stink to yr husband to. SNOB!

Reply to Shackdweller
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/07/26

Joanne E, your husband will only quit when he WANTS TO, nothing else will motivate him to do so and still succeed. I'm an ex smoker and understand this terrible addiction, which is not just physical, but psychological. That doesn't mean that you must accept it, make it clear to him that you're not happy with him smoking firstly because you're concerned for his health, but also because it stinks.

"He stinks - that "poor" kind of smoke smell." I wonder since when did lack of money make you smell poor. I work daily with the poorest of the poor, and can honestly say that I've never noticed these people smelling any different to me or any other wealthy person. Two colleagues live in shacks without electricity (using fires and primus stoves), even so, I've never smelt smoke or poverty on them.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Karen | 2005/07/26

Joanne, please don't think I am being flip or sarcastic but the thing is that he needs to want to stop.

Nagging and telling him how sick he is going to get is not going to help. He's being stubborn and probably realises that what you are saying is true though.

I myself am a heavy smoker and I have never wanted to stop.

I find people that have stopped tedious, in all honestly, because they will rarely admit how much they enjoyed smoking while they did.

I probably haven't helped much, sorry!

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Girl | 2005/07/26

Joanne...I can sympathise TOTALLY. I have dated several guys that were heavy smokers and it ruled their lives. I think they could not actually see what they doing to themselves and sometimes feel it is "too late" anyway as "the damage has been done". It is very sad and frustrating for the people watching. Hang in there and persevere.

Reply to Girl
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/26

I was asking for advice not silly comments - go give donovan moodley a big fat gobby kiss then!

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: u | 2005/07/26

i would rather date a murderer than a smoker. yissus its disgusting!

how do you kiss a person like that?

Reply to u
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/26

oh yes - he even wound up in hospital a couple of years ago with a bad asthma attack from it and was on oxygen and everything.

Reply to Joanne E