Question
Posted by: Lani | 2005/07/11

Smoking

Hi doctor.
I quit smoking on 30 May 2005 (about 6 weeks). In the mean time I started to gym (about a month). I don't over do my exercise, I'm taking it real slow. I go to the gym 4 times a week. And only exercise 30 - 40 min. But I have been getting this dry, irritating, scratching sensation in my chest. (Especially my right lung). It was only when I exercise, but it seems to happen more frequently. It hurts and burns during the day also. Is this normal? What can I do to relief the discomfort? How long will it be like this still? Will it improve?

Lani, it sounds like you’re just fighting a flu, but I can’t say for sure that this is the case without being able to examine you first. The best would be to take a break from the gym for a week or so and see what happens. If it doesn’t clear up the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.