Question
Posted by: jabo | 2004/10/15

smoking

if i do a lot of fitness but still smoke does it help me or is the fitness a waste of time .... am i actually getting more fit..

Hi Jabo

fitness will still help. There was very famous scientific study done in the USA that showed that someone who does regular exercise, but smokes, has approximately the same risk of cardiac disease as someone who does not smoke but also does no exercise. That means that a LACK of exercise and smoking have pretty much the same relative risk. Having said that, the same study showed that people who did both exercise and did not smoke had the lowest risk of all, and so I would really encourage you to keep the momentum going and try to quit smoking too. Exercise takes willpower, and so does quitting smoking, and so you have shown that you have this, so maybe this can be your next goal - but don't give up the exercise, that's for sure!