Question
Posted by: D. | 2004/03/09

Smoking

I know smoking is bad for the baby while being pregnant and everything. But how does smoking affect the process of infertility? I smoke about 5 sigarettes a day, weekends more. We've been trying for a babay for 2 and a half years. I've been for tests and my husband has been for tests, both 100%. How does the smoke affect the process? My husband doesn't smoke.

I'm just curious as to how the smoke affects the whole process. My next step is to quit smoking, to see if it will help.

Smoking in men interferes with sperm production. In women, the mechanisms are a lot less clearcut.

3
Posted by: Elle | 2004/03/09

My friend was a smoker and struggled to fall pregnant. She fell preggie 3mths after she quit. There is an explanation for it. i suggets you ask your gynae but also remember that (apperantly) just trying too hard to have a baby can hinderthe process. Best wishes though and hope you succeed

Reply to Elle
Posted by: D. | 2004/03/09

Thanks Norma, I will. I quit smoking on Sunday, will see how long it lasts. At the moment we are trying everyting, before having to use unnatural stuff, like Clomid, etc. I've done some reading on what the risks are when smoking while being pregnant, and I've decided that I'm not willing to take those risks. It won't only benefit the baby one day, it will benefit me as well.

Thanks again.

Reply to D.
Posted by: Norma | 2004/03/09

I heard that it does affect infertility..... maybe try and see if you can find something on pregnancy dot about dot com.

Reply to Norma