Question
Posted by: Reno | 2003/12/11

Smoking

I am 36 weeks pregnant and the last time I went to my gynae he said that my baby weighed almost two kilograms. This is worrying me. I am a smoker and I have tried to leave smoking but it is very hard and difficult. I don't smoke at all when I am at work and I keep track of the amount I smoke a day and that will be not more that 6 cigarettes a day. Help!

Your baby is probably a little on the small side. However, at 36 weeks, there isn't much you can do about it now. If there is a probelm, your doctor may induce you a bit earlier.

Best wshes

2
Posted by: Belle | 2003/12/11

Hi Reno

Remember that your gynae is just making an educated guess. He cannot tell exactly what the weight of your baby is. My gynae was out by quite a bit. He said about 3.4kg's and my son was 3.9kg's. But even so like Www says if your baby is small it does not mean that it is unhealthy. This is also the time when your baby is putting on the most weight getting ready for birth, so if you are now 36 weeks and go to full term you can add about 150g - 250g per week. If you have ever seen a prem baby it is just skin and bone and looks like an old person, thats because is has not been through the last few weeks of gestation and gained the fat it would have.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: www | 2003/12/11

Did your gynae say that 2kg is particularly small for 36 weeks? I can't remember anymore. If you smoked 6 or less a day and they were very light, then the impact could not have been very big. You should keep in mind that not all babies are born more than 3kg. It depends a lot on the shape and size and build that's in the genetics. My first son was 2.8kg at birth and I didn't smoke. My second son was 3.3kg and I also smoked a little bit during the 2nd pregnancy (about the same amount as you and the lightest cigarettes around).

Take it up with your OB/GYN if you're very worried and ask him/her what the norm would be...

Reply to www