Question
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2007/05/31

Smoke nazi or nicotine junky?

Which side of the nicotine curtain do you find yourself - and do you resent those in the opposite camp? On No Tobacco Day 2007, the article "Smoking law gets teeth" (Health24 front page) explains how legislation will crack down on smokers even more in the coming months.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I agree that alcohol abuse causes more misery and damage than smoking, and there should definitely be tougher control. But just because alcohol abuse is worse than smoking, of course doesn't make the devastating ill-effects of smoking any better. Ideally, we should fight both of them, but the depressing truth of the matter is that controlling alcohol consumption is harder than banning smoking.

Alcohol use (i.e. not abuse) does have one up on tobacco use: small amounts of alcohol are beneficial; NO amount of tobacco is beneficial.

2
Posted by: Tuffy | 2007/05/31

Because then the governement ministers and their buddies can't piss it up everytime they sign a new BEE deal or slaughter a cow to celebrate some other type of deal....

Reply to Tuffy
Posted by: No-Nazi | 2007/05/31

I'm a non-smoker (quit Nov 1999), but have no problem with smokers (I married one), as long as you don't smoke in my house. This rule was set by my husband (not me).

I however do have a BIG problem with alcohol. Alcohol ruin lives & marraiges. It kills people, gets wifes beaten and children molested/raped. It the root of most of the crime statistics.

Why not make a law against alcohol abuse??????

Reply to No-Nazi