Question
Posted by: flower | 2004/01/07

smoke less or quite completely which is best?

ok, interesting subject, and I would like to find out by the Doc.

Is it safe to just cut down your smoking while pregnant?

But on the other hand, I also heard it is dangerous and cause more damage if you just quite immediately.

Please adivse what is best to do about smoking when pregnant?

Rather than stopping completely immediately, it is better to cut down gradually over a few weeks.
Smoking during pregnancy is bad for the baby and should be stopped if at all possible. Stress has not been shown to affect babies. Smoking has.

3
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/08

I have to watch that I don't get on my soap box again....but I am really against smoking during pregnancy and so is my gynae. There is so much scientific evidence against smoking during pregnancy and yet so many smokers out there who do not have the willpower to stop disregard it. Smoking and passive smoking have been positively link to cot death, how can we ignore these warnings?

Yes, some babies don't seem that bothered by the smoke, but many others do show signs that smoking has affected them. Low birth weight is very common amoungst babies of smokers. So too are food allergies and asthma.

The bottom line is that you have 40 weeks (only 40 weeks) to do the best you can for your developing baby. When you have your scans and see the miracle of life and how fragile the baby is, how can you not want to do what is best for your baby and how can you willing absorb toxins into your body when you are trying to help a baby grow? It is every mother's wish to give their child the best start, and by stopping drinking and smoking you are doing your baby the world of good. It is a very unselfish act to stop smoking whilst pregnant and very honourable too. So try your hardest to stop and give your baby the best chance possible!

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/08

I do not fully agree with Belle.
My friend is a heavy smoker and her doctor adviced her to reduce her cigarettes to 10 per day - no more, no less, seeing that the fetus was already 'used[' to the smoking situation and that by giving it up immediately would be stressfull and cause harm.
The baby was born weighing 3.6kg, no problems otherwise and as fit as a fiddle. She is now 18months old and one of the brightest young todlers I have seen in a long time.
I'm not saying that in your situation everything will be the same, therefore I suggest you speak to your gynae immediately to find out exactly what you should do.

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/08

Hi flower

If you can stop smoking without driving yourself crazy in the process then that would be best for your baby. However it is stressfull to stop completely and many doctors advise that you rather cut down to two or three a day than put yourself and the baby through the stress. Remember though that if the baby is born with any problems, eg low birth weight, asthma, allergies, you will blame yourself for not stopping even if it is not related.

Reply to Belle