Question
Posted by: clover | 2004/01/28

Smelly face

My year old bulldog suffers from very smelly skin in the folds under his eyes from the tear ducts always being runny,I dry the area every day and apply "curatex" which the vet prescribed.
Besides the curatex I sometimes try alternating with "eye stain cover cream" or a powder which was suggested,but if I am away and miss just one day it gets really red and smelly.
Do you perhaps have any other solutions besides having the folds reduced by surgery which has been suggested.
Many thanks

Their smelly nature of the folds usually indicates infection with either bacteria or yeast cells (Malassezia). Apart from the remedies that you already use, you can also use soap or shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, as it may be successful to control both bacteria and yeast cells. Ultimately, if it is chronically recurrent, surgical resection of the folds is the best way to prevent recurrence.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town