Question
Posted by: Panic | 2005/12/07

Small Lump on Side of Neck

Please help. I discovered a small (pea size) completely painless lump on the side of my neck last night. My immediate thought was cancer so I spent the night in a cold sweat - what can it be? If I sit straight I cannot feel it, only if I pull my neck to the left, then I can feel the lump on the right side. There is no pain and it is under the skin - almost like it is on a muscle. Is there a possibility it can be something as deadly as cancer - I am completely terrified and getting myself into a state. My boyfriend says I should not panic and wait a week to see if it goes away - but I do not know if I could wait a week. If there is any possibility this could be dangerous, I will go see a doctor. Just looking for opinions?

Dear Panic,
It might just be a harmless fat gland or a lymph gland or even one of the oil glands in your skin that got blocked. Please go to your GP so that he can have a look.

1
Posted by: Panic | 2005/12/08

I went to my GP and she explained that this feels like an oil gland that is blocked. She says it will either release the blockage itself, or if not and it gets bigger, I must go back and they will cut it out. So I am relieved, and thank you for the advice.

Reply to Panic