Question
Posted by: Visibly | 2008/01/25

Small eater

My Maltese Poodle {11 years) has a very bad breath. He only eats table food, and doesn't want to eat his pellets. He eats only a very small portion per day and is very small (thin). Very healthy otherwise. Is that normal?

Maltese can suffer from severe dental (gum) disease that causes bad breath. Cleaning and polishing will be necessary and numerous teeth may need to be extracted as well. Brushing the teeth daily after they have been cleaned will help keep the breath fresh.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/25

I quite agree with Mandi - his teeth could well be troubling him, and toothache could be making his life a misery. Are you aware that poor dental condition is also linked to heart disease? This applies to humans too, by the way...

Also: while 11 isn't exactly aged for a maltese, if you'd like him to reach a ripe old age, then I really would suggest you do something about his diet. There are such good dogfoods available these days, including ones with softer pellets, that it's a pity not to ensure any dog's optimum health and longevity by feeding them correctly. Dogs' average age at death has increased significantly since these dietary options became available, and that is no coincidence. Human food is for humans, and dogfood is for dogs....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/01/25

I think you should take him to the vet. There might be a problem with his teeth. It might be painfull to eat the pellets, which is why he prefers the softer table food. this might also explain why he is getting thin.
although in my experience; older dogs tend to get quite thin as old age nears.
Rather take him to the vet.

Reply to Mandi