Question
Posted by: | 2019/02/01

Small cut on finger during lab work in biosafe hood

I got small cut on the finger when I was doing cell working in my lab bio safety hood. The glass tip is not clean, it was connected to the vacuum machine we use to aspirate medium from culture dish. We use a secondary pipette tip on top of the long glass tip so the glass tip is reused and not changed for a long time. It's a BSL-2 lab and I am working with primary mouse cells. I am worried we have used lentivirus and adenovirus. I have been put on medications under instruction by occupational health facility. I am very worried. Since I have major depression, I am not feeling very well. My health record shows no infections so far.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert
- 2019/03/04

It's understandable you would have some concern about this, but it seems you have taken the right steps by following procedure as advised. It is also reassuring that there is no sign of infection. As I'm sure you know, needlestick and similar injuries are not uncommon among medical and lab workers, and the great majority are not serious. As I'm also sure you know, anxiety, and often anxiety about health issues, is common among people with major depression. It's not unlikely that you are worrying about this excessively. Honestly, my concern here is more that you are attending to your depression and checking in with your doctor or therapist about this. You may find it helpful to post to Cybershrink or the Depression Expert.

Please let me know how you are doing.