Question
Posted by: Janie | 2008/01/25

Slowest Metabolism in the World!

Dear DietDoc,

Ever since I can remember I have had problems with my weight. Whenever I eat anything that has ANY fat in it, I gain weight. I can't eat like the average Joe, it's only when I eat very strictly; like salads and fruit and lean meat that I loose weight or maintain my weight. I must have the slowest metabolism of anyone I know! The thing is, I exercise 4 - 5 times a week (taebo, long distance walking/light jogging) for the past 7 years. I am a 23 year old female and I always eat fat free/low fat with the odd piece of dark chocolate or snack once in a blue moon. I don't drink fizzy drinks and I don't eat things like chips, muffins or any fatty/sugary foods. I don't add sugar or fat to my food either and I always check labels for sugars, fat or any other bad ingredients. I mostly eat fresh food any how. I don't consume dairy or gluten either. I have been visiting a clinical dietitian for the past 2 and half months and she put me on a low-GI eating plan which makes total sense to me, but it didn't really help me to loose weight. Could the problem just plainly be that I have a super slow metabolism and if so, what methods can I use to speed it up as I already seem to do the usual: Eat 6 small meals a day, exercise, etc. Thank you!

Dear Janie
One option would be to investigate if you do actually have a problem with your metabolism such as hypothyroidism, imbalances of your female hormones (e.g. PCOS) or any other hormone imbalance. I would suggest that you consult an endocrinologist and ask the dr to investigate. In the meanwhile keep on doing exercise because aerobic exercise is still the best metabolic stimulant known to humankind.
Hang in there