Question
Posted by: ,,, | 2006/07/26

slow walking?

This might come across as a silly question! So sorry but I am curious..

I train with a personal trainer twice a week and do my own cardio the rest of the week (running) but I got a treadmill recently and now when I watch TV I just walk on it slowly just for that extra bit of calories to burn (trying to loose all the flab, not overweight but lots of flab) anyway does slow walking (speed 5,5 incline on 2-4) really help at all or burn calories? I don't really get tired, just hot. I feel it's actually a lazy way of exercising and that I'm maybe just wasting my time? If it does burn calories good though because I think that's better than lying in front of the tv and being lazy that way? What would your opinion be? Thank you (P.S for an hour walk the treadmill says I burned 375Calories - can this be?) My bf says I'm just not used to taking it easy - and to be honest I actually enjoy it! No pressure just passing time in a more productive way?

Dear "..."

ANY amount of activity - however slow or fast - burns calories and is better than just lounging in front of the television! Do not worry, you are NOT wasting your time and if you enjoy the slow walks in front of the television than by all means continue as this will contribute to "flab" reduction!

Calories are usual burned "per distance" covered - so, regardless of whether or not you cover 5 km in one hour or 20 minutes the amount of calories expended will be the same.

This is not a silly question - keep up the good work and enjoy it! ...Your bf is probably just jealous :-)...

Keep On Walking!