Question
Posted by: Chantal | 2007/04/24

Slow K

Can you please tell me how Slow K works. At the moment I am taking 2 three times a day as I am training for Comrades and have a tendency to sweat a lot when I train. Will Slow K cause me to retain water? Are there side effects of Slow K? Should I take Slow K while actually running a race, if so, how often? Does Slow K get stored in the body like any other vitamin supplement?
Many thanks

HI Chantal

Just so we're on the same page, Slow-K is taken as a potassium supplement? Just in case there are other equivalents...

If that is the case, then then probably don't need to take a potassium supplement. Potassium deficiencies are pretty rare, because most people get sufficient potassium from their diets that they don't need a supplement. And there is this perception that runners are in danger of potassium deficiencies which would cause cramps, but there is no evidence for that either. We have no reason to think that a lack of potassium causes cramps anyway, so it's probably not needed.

And you don't store potassium, it simply gets excreted and so taking in anymore than is needed for daily function is most likely wasteful. It's unlikely to be harmful, but it's probably not being used either. So I guess you need to make a decision as to whether you are going to continue to use, as it's likely not to be needed.