Question
Posted by: LW | 2003/12/19

Slow growth of baby

Went to see my gyane yesterday. Am 26 weeks. He told me that the baby is very small, and that growth has been very slow but that I shouldn't worry because some babies are born small. He estimates that at term the baby would be max 2kg.
Both my husband and myself are medium build. So even though the gynae says not to worry, I still am.

The growth is generally plotted on charts. These show a variation in the 'normal' size of babies, so you could ask your doctor to show these to you. If the baby is still within normal limits though on the small side, there should not be much to worry about. It would also be important to see what the growth is like over a period of time, i.e. has the baby always been small or is there a fall off in growth. The blood flow from the placenta can be measured using a Doppler test. This will show whether the placenta is supplying adequate amounts of blood to the fetus.
From your side, it would be important to eat a healthy diet and avoid smoking.