Question
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/09

Slimming mixture

Dear doc,

I wonder if you can maybe help me with a question.
I see the dietician isn't available yet, so I'm asking you instead.

I bought Lennon's slimming mixture a few days ago. I'm just wondering if it does really help with weight increase. It contains the following:

(Each mentioned below is per 50ml.)

- Gola Kota 0.75g
- Red grape leaf extract 0.30g
- Alcachofra Cynara Scolymus 0.067g
- Cavallinha (Equisetum Arverse) 0.36g
- Sodium Benzoate 0.012g
- Green Tea 0.30g

I'll really appreciate it if you can help. If not, it's alright. i also do some aerobic exercise regularly and try to eat healthy.

Thank you.

Hi Ciska

I'm afraid that this is not an area that I would be sure enough to give you any facts. The entire thing just appears to be a lot of herbs, and so I'm honestly not even sure that a dietician would know what all of them do - this is the sort of thing that a herbologist or a homeopath would be into, and quite frankly, my scientific training makes me sceptical of these things. The problem is that they are never properly tested - so, whether they work or not is a mystery, and what you have is a lot of people jumping on a bandwagon, and there are 'urban legends' springing up all over the show that claim miraculous results. Now, I'm not saying that they may work, and herbal medicines can in fact be very effective, but until it's proven to be safe and effective, I wouldn't support their use. In terms of the actual specifics and the ingredients of this particular mixture, hopefully Diet Doc will be able to give you some input.

I hope this helps