Question
Posted by: Angel | 2005/01/06

Slimming diet questions

Hi Doc,
In the past year and a half I have been on and off Clomid (fertiity drug) and have picked up 13 kg's in the prcess. I need to lose this weight as I am resting from the drug for 3 months. I know it is not only the drug but that eat too much junk food and do not exercise (work on PC all day so just sit all day). I would like to lose at least 10 kg's but want to stick to the Lifestyle. I started your slimming diet yesterday but have a few questions I hope you wont mind ansering.
1. Is the Slim Slice brown bread OK?
2. How many kilojoules is in this diet and how many are you supposed to take in per day.
3. I am 1.67 tall and weigh 70kg - how much should I weigh?
4. I started walking about 30mins a day. Is this OK?
5. Is thin cooked ham ok in the meat category?
Sorry to bombard you with all these questions

Dear Angel
I understand that you must be frustrated that you have gained so much weight. Those fertility drugs and most female hormone treatments can cause weight gain in women. It is a pleasure to answer your questions.
1. You can eat any bread that is made of unsifted or wholewheat or rye flour, so the Slim Slice brown bread is fine.
2. This diet is not based on restricting kilojoules alone, but also on the principle that individuals who eat large quantities of unrefined carbohydrates and little fat, start losing weight spontaneously. Generally speaking slimming diets like this one contain 6300 to 7100 kJ (don't try to cut down more, as this prompts the body sto stop losing weight in the light of perceived starvation)
3 Your present BMI = 25 (which is still in the normal range of 18-25). To achieve your ideal BMI of 22, you should weigh 61 kg, but first try losing 5 kg and the progress to greater weight loss.
4 Experts agree that 30 min of brisk walking a day is fine for health and weight loss
5 Yes, the thinly sliced ham is fine
Good luck with your sensible approach to weight loss and also with falling pregnant