Question
Posted by: Tia | 2004/01/26

SLIMMING DIET PUBLISHED BY DIETDOC

I have had a look at your slimming diet and it seems to be very good, containing food from all the various foodgroups, etc. However, my problem is mid-morning. I usually have breakfast at around 07h30 and then lunch is at 13h30. This is a 6 hour stretch and I find it too long. By about 11h00 I am totally ravenous and will eat anything that I can find. What should I do to avoid this? Is there any good snacking that I can do?

My other question is bread. I find that when I eat bread (white, brown, wholegrain) I tend to feel extremely tired afterwards. What could be the cause of this. A friend said it is insulin resistance, and another said it is an allergy to gluten. Please help.

Dear Tia
Thank you for your kind words. You can certainly split up your breakfast, to make provision for a snack at 11:00, e.g. some low-fat yoghurt, rye bread, fruit, fat-free cottage cheese, or even a boiled egg. If you find that wheat bread makes you feel tired after eating, it could be due to the fact that all the breads you list have a relatively high glycaemic index or GI. Try eating seed loaf or dark rye bread or Provita (which all have a low GI), as an experiment and see how you feel. If you find that these breads do not cause the reaction, then use them instead of the others. If you still react to the Provita and the seed loaf (which are both made with wheat flour) then I would suggest that you ask your dr to do food sensitivity/allergy tests to determine if you are sensitive or allergic to wheat products. If this should be the case, then we would need to eliminate all wheat products, and even oats from your diet, but let's first see what type of reaction you have to the breads I have suggested.

1
Posted by: Tia | 2004/01/27

Thanks doc, I will definitely try your advice.

Tia

Reply to Tia