Question
Posted by: Elsa | 2007/03/13

Slimming diet for cholesterol and diabet

Dear Doc

I am a 42 year old overweigh lady with signs of diabetes as well as diabetes and cholesterol in my family.

Could you please provide me with a healthy slimming diet that would not worsen this condition.

Dear Elsa
You can try the DASH diet to lower your cholesterol and your weight. Click on "Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp, and will also assist with weight loss and lowering cholesterol. Do also consider seeing a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood cholesterol levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.