Question
Posted by: Tess | 2003/01/14

Slightyly Overweight Teenager

Hi there, I have a teenage son, aged thirteen who is a little bit too plump for his age and size. He has a fairly large roll of fat round his tummy and the signs of cellulite dimples already. This is the only area where I would say he has any flab, the rest of him is fine. He is fairly active and loves his sport, but also loves the wrong food. We have not worried about his weight at all, but lately he has been teased. and this summer has refused to swim or do anything that involves taking his shirt off. He is off to High School and wants to play water polo and would like to trim down his tum. We are a fairly slim, active family and I have no idea about diets, especially for children. What can I do to help him lose the flab. I do not want it to be an issue in his life, it does not worry us - just him. Help!!

Dear Tess
If you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' you will obtain a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. Use this as a GUIDELINE to reduce the amount of fatty food he eats, but allow him to eat as much of the permitted foods as he needs to prevent getting hungry. Experts the world over agree that children and young teenagers should not go on strict diets (so moderate fat reduction is all that is required) and should rather get rid of their excess weight by doing exercise. So encourage his sporting activities and let him attend a good gym if possible to increase the amount of energy he expends. I like your relaxed approach.