Question
Posted by: celeste | 2007/04/23

Slightly osteopaenic

Hi, after an ankle injury that required xrays, the doc noted that I was osteopaenic for my age (I'm a female, 25). Is this anything to be concerned about?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Celeste
An x-ray is the most insensitive method to determine a low bone density (osteopenia). I would only suggest a proper bone density if there were severe risk factors for osteoporosis. You are also still building bone mass (until about 30), so you probably don't have to worry about this. If you want to know more about the risk factors, you can contact the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 931 7894.