Question
Posted by: Pam | 2007/11/27

Slender Wonder

Hi Doc,

Please give you advice on the Slender Wonder program. I've got an under active teriod and struggle to loose weight. I need to loose at least 10kg's. I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks,is it better to start with this program in the new year?

Dear Pam
I trust that you are receiving feedback from other Readers who have used the Slender Wonder programme. I am personally not convinced that these expensive programmes always do the trick. Check out their diet and if it is either unbalanced (cutting out whole food groups like carbs) or too low in energy then I would recommend that you rather eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
My advice is that you should rather try going on a new diet and slimming regimen when you return from your holiday so that you can give it all your attention and not stop after 2 weeks - that is a waste of time and effort. Try to be as active as possible during your holiday - go for walks and swim, etc, to start the process of weight loss in a relaxed manner.
Enjoy your holiday

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/12/04

Dear Pam I work in an emergency room and today a patient almost died from this "miracle injection" I contains hormones which can be dangerous, it also has laxative effects which can cause diarrhea and therefore a further loss of not only weight but also minerals that keep your hear going. Think very carefully before going onto these miracle diets.

Posted by: Been There | 2007/11/28

Dear Pam

Worn the T Shirt! I only had about 6kg's to lose but was desperate because I really battle to lose weight...± R3 000 later I only lost 3kg's...I could not afford it any longer and put the weight righ back on as soon as all the supplements and injections stopped. If you have the money go for it...but like SW.....you have to have a lot of money to stick with this diet.

Reply to Been There
Posted by: SW client | 2007/11/27

Dear Pam, my wife was on that program. Lost quite a bit of weight, but I'm by no means yet convinced it's worth the money! Ask them about what's in the injections and they say it's proprietary and they get a doctor to tell you it's safe. It probably is if they five you saline for the injections, i.e. placebo.
Think about it, they put you on this very strict diet, the injections and some supplements as part of the core regimen. Now you start loosing weight and go for the weekly checkups (in most cases) for which you pay a lot of money. There's a great deal of psychology at work. So you stick to the diet (take the injections and supplements of course) because you're motivated and viola you loose good weight.
But then there are all the additional supplements to the core regimen they start advising you to take (like fat trappers/burners) that will help you loose weight even much quicker, but at a price of course!
If you look at the way the whole thing is marketed (you probably know what I'm talking about) it should raise concern. My feeling is they prey on desperate people by 'selling' them a diet (that they really shouldn't be paying for) nicely wrapped in this wonder product called Slender Wonder, of which the secret ingredient (the injections) are supposed to magic factor. In our case they explained to us the unfortunate way the weight loss industry works (as some of us already know), it's a GIGANTIC industry world wide of which the success relies on it's clients never really achieving their goals. This is much more true than the conspiracy theory that the pharmaceutical industry relies on their clients never really getting healthy ... although maybe.... The Slender Wonder program tries to convince you (through their magic potion) that it is the true messiah of all fat people, while somewhat ironically I think they're just another false prophet. Think carefully and enjoy you're holiday!

Reply to SW client