Question
Posted by: Maverick | 2006/11/08

Sleepyness at work & while driving

I have found that while working, I would suddenly fall asleep for a moment. I can be busy typing (I am a computer programmer), then suddenly would just disappear with no reason.

What is scarier, I drive an average of 55 kilometers to work, and then 55 back again, and I have found myself disappearing behind the wheel as well. It has only been moments, so far, but at 120km/h a moment can be forever.

I am obese, and unfit, and recently have been diagnosed with high bloodpressure. I have no sugar or cholestrol problems. These problems started about 3 to 4 months ago, and is getting worse and worse.

I am in a high-stress environment, and the stress was exceptional while a deadline came closer. After the deadline, we still had some stress, but not close to the previous stress. And all this started after the deadline.

I don't smoke, or drink alcohol, and I sleep between 6 and 8 hours average per night, with slighly more over weekends.

Dear Maverick
You may have sleep apnoea
See http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Sleep_apnoea?OpenDocument
and
http://www.health24.com/medical/Head2Toe/777-778-781,18003.asp
I think it is neccesary for you to maybe get an evaluation at a sleep laboratory as this can cause high blood pressure and heart problems too.