Question
Posted by: SA | 2004/11/09

Sleepless Sleeps

Hi there,

I was wondering, I get about 7 - 8 hrs sleep a night. I sleep the whole night through but still wake up feeling absolutley buggered, really tired as if I haven't slept at all. What could be causing this? Someone suggested that I was Astral Projecting without knowing it but I don't believe in that, there must be a medical reason, no?

Thanks.

Hmm, so many people get hung up about the exact number of hours they sleep, which actually varies considerably between us. What matters is how you feel after you wake up ( not immediately, as many of us can be rather bloody for the first few minutes ) but that morning. If you feel buggered, then the amount of sleep may be OK, but the quality sounds to have been insufficient. I really and truly don't believe you are exhausted from astral projecting all night, any more than dreaming of a marathon would tire us out ( it wouldn't ).
Kate mankes a number of good sensible comments. On the Sleep Apnoea issue, it can be spotted if others who sleep with or near you complain that you snore very loudly, especially if it's the pattern of loud snoring, followed by suddent silenge, then a splutering start up again. For this an ENY surgeon may be able to help. Check if your local medical school or private sector has a Sleep lab, where you can sleep a night attached to various monitors to check on all aspects of the quality of your sleep.
Don't exercise too late in the day, be cautious about alcohol or stimulants after evening. If you try an early start, dig out some extremely boring books, and try to finish a chapter or two, which usually sends most of us off to sleep earlier, especially if we really have to finish the chapters !

2
Posted by: SA | 2004/11/09

Thanks for all the info, I do exercise on a daily basis. I believe that I am a night person, always had a problem with waking up early etc..unfortunatly can't do the sex thing just yet as my girlfriend and I called it a day not so long ago..so guess I will try getting to sleep a bit earlier, I tried that though and ended up just lying there for an hour or so looking at the ceiling haha will just have to try some other remedies I guess, thanks for your input though

Reply to SA
Posted by: Kate | 2004/11/09

There are a number of reasons why you feel tired after 7-8 hours of sleep:

1. You may need more than 7-8 hours a night. We are all different - my sister gets away with 5-6 while I need between 8-9.
2. Your mattress may not be a good one so you do not rest properly. You may not be aware of it but perhaps you are tossing and turning the whole night long.
3. You may suffer from sleep apnea (sp?) so it may be that you are continually waking up during the night without reaching the 'deep sleep' phase - hence the tiredness.
4. Go to bed earlier (or later) and wake up earlier (or later). This has somethign to do with circadian rhythms. In other words, find out whether you are a 'morning' or 'night' person and adjust your sleeping patterns accordingly.
5. Exercise. This is good for one in many ways and it also helps with sleep.
6.Finally, the fun bit: have sex before you sleep as this is nature's 'sleeping pill'!

Reply to Kate