Question
Posted by: Des | 2006/11/10

Sleeping Tablets & OCD

Hi Doctor,

I have been suffering from OCD for a very long time (good couple of years) although I've only been diagnosed with it in 2004 after visiting the local shrink. She put me on Zoloft for a few months and I thought I was making a recovery, but was wrong. Also, during all these years, I was taking over the counter sleeping tablets like Betasleep and Somnil because of leading a very stressfull (workaholic) and lonely life (no time for socialising because of OCD). Recently, I made up my mind to stop taking these tablets and noticed a major difference in this anxiety (not cured, but major difference)? This brings me to my question; is it possible that taking these sleeping tablets could have resulted or worsened my OCD?

Many thanks.

Dear Des
Both these tablets are not sleeping tablets in the true sense of the word, but anticholinergic ( Somnil) and antihistamine ( betasleep) . Both these drugs can cause drowsiness and interact with any other depressant medication and alcohol etc. I think you made a wise move here - rather ask your doctor for Stilnox prescription if you can't sleep. However not all patients react good to just one kind of antidepressant like Zoloft and I think you should try others too - discuss with your doctor ( preferably a psychiatrist)
See also
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/obsessive_compulsive_disorder_ocd.htm