Question
Posted by: Insomnia | 2005/05/23

Sleeping tablets

Hi doc

I am on Cipralex 1 tab per day for GAD. I also suffer from bouts of insomnia. My GP gave me Stillnox to use, which works fine, but I tend to wake up during the night with a lot of anxiety. I went back to him and he gave me Dalmadorm 30mg to take at night. I don't use tablets every night, just when the insomnia starts. I want to know how safe this medicine is and what is your experience with it? (I also take Alzam 0.5 mg - max 2 tablets per day).

Hmm. Dalmadorm is Flurazepam, a benzo, a relative of Valium. Stilnox is a useful sleeping medicine, designed to wear off before morning, so as not to leave a hangover effect. Alzam is another benzo, and usually rather sedative. Twanette's policy of making a cup of a soothing, milky drink like hot chocolate is a good one, when one wakes at night. And she's right, too, about not taking further sleeping meds late in the night / early morning, or the hangover can be troublesome ( including afecting your driving skills significantly !)

1
Posted by: Twanette | 2005/05/23

I were also on Cipralex for a long time, but even though I used It i all of a sudden experience severe depression.

My Docter put me on Serlife 50 mg, so far so good.

I also still use the Stilnox at night now only half a tablet and 2 x Alzam 5 mg.

Don't feel that you are a drug addict, I don't suffer from any side effects and when I wake up during the night a get up make myself a cup of hot chocolate take 1 alzam and then go back to sleep.

So i think it is safe, i have been taking sleeping tablets since i was 22.

I don't take an alzam when its' like say 04:00 in the morning because then I feel i had enought sleep and normally read a book or play with my puppy.

Reply to Twanette