Question
Posted by: ABC | 2003/12/22

Sleeping position when pregnant

HI there,

What is the best position to sleep in when pregnant. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and usually sleep on my back. Should I rather be trying to sleep on my sides? If so, why and from when?

It would be best to lie on your side rather than on your back, as the uterus can compress the blood supply to the fetus. From about 20 weeks, it would be big enough to do this.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2003/12/29

I found that I rolled onto my back in my sleep until the point where my stomach got so huge that I would wake up as I started rolling. I'm now at 33 weeks, but would roll onto my back at night right up until about 28 weeks.
I find that two pillows for my head, one pillow supporting my stomach, one pillow between my knees, and one behind my back give me a comfy nights sleep. I just have to get up for going to the toilet and for turning to sleep on the other side. Sleeping on one side for too long gives me a cramp in my outer thigh.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Belle | 2003/12/23

Hi ABC

Try putting pillows between your knees for comfort and a pillow behind your back to help you not to roll over. It is so comfy that I still do it and my baby is 14 months old. As your stomach gets bigger you will probably need more pillows. Hubby won't be to happy because you will end up using most of the bed, but then does he want a tired moody mommy to be of a well rested one, and believe me you will be thankfull for any rest you got now after the baby arrives. I also took 2 firm continental pillows and left a gap inbetween so that I could lie on my stomach without actually squashing the baby. I don't know how good this is but I love to sleep on my stomach and couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't do it for long periods at a time because it made my back ache but my baby was a huge health baby at birth.

Reply to Belle