Question
Posted by: Bob | 2008/05/26

Sleeping pills

What do I do to stop taking sleeping pills please? I have taken it for a couple of years and really want to stop, but I just don't fall asleep at night or even during the day, although I don't really have stress or worries.
Help please.

Hard to say without knowing your background, the exact pills and dosages. So your own doctor, who has, after all, been prescribing these pills to you for maybe a bit too long, would be best placed to give detailed advice. OK, you don't need to fall asleep during the day. Its good that there is apparently no other worries or stress to disturb sleep. Generally, one is wise to cut down gradually, rather than all at once, reducing the dose slightly every few days ( here it depends, again, on the exact drug, and its speed of removal from the body, and whether a capsule or tablet, and thus by what increments a reduction is possible ). And its important to face the fac that even if your sleep is a bit irregular or restles for a few nights --- that's OK, that's not a major problem, and it will settle down before long.
And also check out elsewhere in H24 and you can also do a google search, for basic sleep hygiene advice ( also in the archives of this forum ) as to non-drug measures for improving your slep