Question
Posted by: nicky | 2007/12/20

sleeping pills

i have been taking sleeping pills, ie zopiclone for the past 15 years due to my hi-anxiety and now and then panic attacks...the docs however dont want to prescribe anymore and i cannot sleep without them... i have moved to the UK from south africa and they quite staunch here. Because of my overactive bladder too i dont get any sleep. im in emotional turmoil at the moment due to this big move ive made on my own... i guess thats normal hey?? anyway is there anything strong that i could buy online, is it legal? its been a ;major stress for me living in a foreign countrym, adjusting to cultural differences etc. would this add more stress and make me more anxious?? i have had an ultra sound for my bladder but they found nothing, yet ive been goin to the loo every 5 to 10 minutes on a daily basis.... at times its full and at times a little...i stress very easily

ll it really doesn't sound as though your problems were properly treated at all. There are specific treatments for anxiety disorders and panic attacks which are highly effective, and do NOT, EVERY, include the use of sleeping pills for 15 years. CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ) works very well for both conditions, and some drugs otherwise used as antidepressants, can also be very helpful. I strongly suggest that you see a good local psychiatrist for a thorough re-assessment, and a discussion of treatment options --- to withdraw the sleeping pills ( fortunately zopiclone is generally easier to deal with in this sort of situation than older sleeping pills ), and to plan treatment of the anxiety and panic attakcs, perhaps combining proper medication and CBT.
Fortunately, if you are now in the UK< you have a better chance of finding a properly qualified shrink and proper assistance for your problems --- this could make a major positive difference in your life. Also, proper treatment would improve the quality of your sleep better than sleeping pills, and maybe allow better for your bladder problems --- which they can probably also help you with.
Get proper help, which is now available to you --- and especially with the aspect of fresh anxiety caused by the relocation, this may well be covered by the National Health. The beauty of CBT is that it would help you to learn, probably rather rapidly, how NOT to stress so easily, and how to handle stress when it arises.