Question
Posted by: SmallPaul | 2008/02/05

sleeping disorder

Hi CS, sorry to bother again, but this question might be even more important than the first. The problem is that I never feel like taking my evening medication and going to sleep. Like yesterday I got up at 8am, it's now 5:20 am and I just don't feel like going to sleep. I really don't know why. I take 20mg etomine at bedtime to sleep along with geodon 80mg twice a day. My psychiatrist pushed it up to 40mg but it still usually takes more than an hour and a half for me to fall asleep and I get serious food cravings after 40 minutes of taking it and can't fall asleep without eating. Maybe it could be that it's just such a mission to fall asleep and the thing is I'm never tired when I'm supposed to go to sleep. Sometimes though I'll get real tired after about 5 hours from getting up, then I sleep without medication but usually just for 2 hours before waking up and then any routine I might have had goes to waste again. I think I might be a hyperactive insomniac, although I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it just sounds fitting. Please help.

I'm a bit puzzled by this combination of medications, is they are purely intended to treat insomnia.
Of Etomine, the SA Medicines Formulary says : " Clothiapine.... is potently sedative. However, it has a considerable potential to cause extrapyramidal reactions, and it is recommended that indications for parenteral use be restricted to acute mania, agitated schizophrenias and acute organic psychoses. "
and Geodon is Ziprasidone, and antipsychotic, used to treat schizophrenia, and the manic phase of bipolar disorder.
SO I'm puzzled. I wouldn't have ever thought of using either of these meds, alone or in combination, to treat insomnia, so I can't guess what your psychiatrist is aiming at. Maybe you have other conditions troubling you and complicating the picture, as well. I can only suggest that you discuss this with your psychiatrist, and explore why other more orthodox treatments for insomnia have not been used ( or maybe they have all been tried and have not proved to be effective ? )

2
Posted by: SmallPaul | 2008/02/05

Like I said in the question titled steam rooms, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic so that's why I'm on geodon and etomine. With geodon more of a maintenance anti-psychotic and the etomine as a sleep-inducing anti-psychotic. And yes, normal sleeping pills just haven't been effective.

Reply to SmallPaul
Posted by: piet | 2008/02/05

jesis ou,maybe you should get off those poisins for a while!

Reply to piet