Question
Posted by: Sleeping Blues | 2004/10/21

Sleeping Blues

I am 23 weeks pregnant and have been told that sleeping on my back could have a negative impact on my unborn baby. Is this true?

The pressure of the uterus can compress the major blood vessels carrying blood to the baby, so you should try to lie on your side or at an angle.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/21

Yes it is, but more so the later you are in your pregnancy. You will notice that you get breathless when you lie on your back as your pregnancy progresses. I can't remember the effect it has on the baby, but I think that it can put pressure on the umbilical cord so that while you lie on your back, less oxygen gets to your baby, but I might be way off with that.

I just know that you shouldn't lie on your back as your pregnancy progresses.

Reply to Purple