Question
Posted by: Anne | 2009/03/02

Sleep Therapy

I was given sleep therapy by a QUALIFIED PSYCHIATRIST, who' s name I can give you as well. I assure you he is NOT a quack.
I have Manic Bipolar Disorder, and he used the " sleep therapy"  for 5 days. While I was under, I was medicated via I.V. drip.
After being discharged I continued with my medication given to me, but I was back to square one with the manic swings in about 12 months.
But for 12 months it was controlled, and I felt better than I had in so so long.
How can you say it does not work?? I am walking proof that it worked for me - not on a long term basis, but it DID work for 12 months.

NO properly qualified psyhiatrist should EER recommend or provide Sleep Therapy which is inevitably a quack treatment. No knowledgeable academic on earth, no proper professional or expert organization on earth, no proper textbook on earth, recommends it for anyone, for any situation.
Similarly, no normally recognized treatment for true Bipolar Disorder is given by IV drip over 8 days. Intravenous use of some antidepressants became popular years ago by some unpleasant doctors who found they could charge a whole lot more than by simply writing a prescription for meds to be taken by mouth. But intravenous treatment is not recommended by any expert guidelines or academic experts on earth, either.
And you are not living proof that this bizarre treatment works. I am pleased to hear that you had a period of 12 months of stability after the time you had this treatment. Even people who have no treatment whatever, or who are treated with icecream and potato chip[s, can have 12 months or more of stability. This does not prove that ice-cream, "sleep therapy" or intravenous drips CAUSED that stability or are an adviseable method of treatment.
The mood stabilizing drugs that HAVE been proved by proper reseach to be effective in controlling a bipolar disorder ae NOT given intravenously over 5 days, nor preceded by any form of sleep therapy.
I have recently been re-reading the guidelines adopted by the South African Sociaty of Psychiatrists, and they do not include either of these methods of treatment as recommended at all.
Clearly you have great faith in this old-fashioned psychiatrist, and prefer his advice to that of the world's leading experts and that based on proper research evaluations of what is effective and safe. That's your choice. But I;m pleased you have not named the person, because if I knew who it was, I would have to seriously consider reporting him to the Health Professions Council / Medical Council, for investigation and possible disciplinary measures. These are not proper treatments to use this cenuiry.

6
Posted by: poo poo | 2009/03/02

ok shanica but first learn internet forum posting manners - TYPING IN CAPITALS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING!!!!

i.e. turn your CAPS LOCK OFF!

Reply to poo poo
Posted by: SHANICA | 2009/03/02

I WOULD LIKE A THERAPIST OR PSYCHOLOGIST TO HELP ME

Reply to SHANICA
Posted by: SHANICA | 2009/03/02

OBSERVING SLEEP IS MY ASSIGNMENT TOPIC

Reply to SHANICA
Posted by: hyperego | 2009/03/02

But for such a short time period? 5 days? i would have thought that it would take longer?

No doubt that sleep therapy helps people heal - sleep is the time when the body recuperates......

Reply to hyperego
Posted by: Anne | 2009/03/02

Who would you like to help you with your assignment?

Reply to Anne
Posted by: SHANICA | 2009/03/02

I WOULD LIKE YOU TO HELP ME WITH MY PSYCHOLOGY ASSIGNMENT THE TOPIC IS OBSERVING SLEEP

Reply to SHANICA