Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2007/06/15

Sleep Therapy

My friend has been seeing a shrink, and he has been booked in for sleep therapy, please could you explain what the sleep therapy does.

Sleep therapy is pure 100 % quackery, and I am horrified to hear that there are any shrinks in SA ignorant enough to still offer it, or private hospitals unscrupulous enough to enable it to be carried out. There is not one single shred of good evidence to suggest that Sleep Therapy is EVER effective and helpful, and all too much evidence that it can be dangerous. Not one single psychiatric or medical authority or major organization supports its use, and many condemn it. I would STRONGLY advise your friend to cancel any bookings that have been made ( I'd appreciate hearing which clinic was prepared to provide this old-fashioned quackery ) --- and to urgently see a different shrink, one who is actually up to date with effective modern treatments, rather than out-dated and disgraced mumbo-jumbo.