Question
Posted by: JC | 2004/11/11

Sleep Apnoea,

Dear Doc, I think my husband has Sleep Apnoea, he snores in any position. He is a a bit overweight. His snoring gets louder and louder, then suddenly stops and he sometimes stops breathing altogether for a short time, then snorts and starts up again. The big problem is that he does not want to admit that he has this problem. I have shown him articles about Sleep Apnoea and told him that he has exactly those symptoms, but to no avail. I cannot sleep - because I am a light sleeper, and when I finally fall asleep, I will wake up again from his snoring - if it gets louder.
He has once mentioned that maybe he should go to a sleep clinic and have himself assessed, but think he just said it to quiet me down. What is the treatment - if any - for sleep apnoea - maybe if I tell him what will be done, he will go and see a dr.
thank you

JC, the first step would be to book him into a “sleep clinic” and have the diagnosis proven. After that they will try to determine the cause and treat the cause. A CPAP mask is also often prescribed, but that it much further down the line. Good luck.