Question
Posted by: Tisha | 2003/12/15

Sleep apnoea

HI Doc

recently i started waking up in the middle of the night either gasping for breath or snoring heavily. This happens at least 2 or three times a week. Last night when i was falling asleep i could feel myself stop breathing. I concentrated so hard to keep on breathing that i actually felt tired of it! I was scared of going to sleep.
I'm a 22 year old female, my weight is normal, and i'm fairly healthy. I read the article on sleep apnoea and they suggest sleeping on your side, which i always do. I hardly sleep in any other position mainly because it's uncomfortable for me.

Where do i start, what sort of tests need to be done and what will the damage be more or less? I stay in Midrand and i don't have medical aid. Any institution you can recommend that's not very pricey?

Thank you for your help and enjoy your well-deserved break.

Tisha, it might just be due to swollen adenoids, a nose or a soft palate problem, so the best would be to start by seeing an ENT specialist. If he can’t find the cause, he will be able to refer you to someone who can. Good luck.