Question
Posted by: Sleepy & Menopause Screen | 2008/01/30

Sleep Apnea

Dear Cyberdoc

I have had a battery of tests for waking up suddenly dizzy like a panic attack. Its been established that I snore a lot and wake up with a gasp and then continue sleeping (my partner) so they think it is sleep apnea. I cannot afford the costs of one night in a sleep clinic its R7000 and my hospital plan does not pay for it.

Is there anything that I can do to help myself? Someone mentioned that there are these special blankets they use for babies that detect immediately if the baby stops breathing. do you know if you get something like this for adults?

Also, I am having a menopause screen. How conclusive are these tests?

Sleepy

Dear Sleepy
Try and find out if your nearest academic hospital has a sleep lab – it may be much cheaper to have it done there. I don’t think you get a apnoea alarm for adults. It won’t be necessary as adults would almost never die from their apnoea but what happens is that you wake up so many times during the night that you don’t get enough rest. The low oxygen levels increase your risk for a heart attack or stroke. Read this article:
http://www.health24.com/medical/Head2Toe/777-778-781,18003.asp
Try the following:
If you are allergic, and your nose is blocked at night, get treatment from your GP or ENT specialist.
Ask your dentist to make you a mouth piece to keep your jaw forward.
Use the strips you stick over your nose to keep your nose open.
A menopause screen will definitely tell you whether you have started menopause or not.

1
Posted by: Dozy | 2008/04/04

I would like to receive more info about sleep apnea

Reply to Dozy