Question
Posted by: granma jim | 2005/06/30

sleep

Good day I have a grand son who is 18months old .my problem is that he doesn't want to sleep at night .doesn't matter how tired he is at night.It is going so bad that sometimes he plays until 2 sometimes 3 at night and he mother gets so fustrated that she gives him a few slaps on the bottom but he is as stubborn as a mule .she tries keeping him awake during the day and even that don't help much because he would doze off at 8.00 for 1/2 hr or so then he would be awake the most of the night.we don't give him anything with tarterzine and even went so far as to not give hime any sweets ..we have sub that with raisins and dry fruit like prunes and stuff.I don't want her to give any medicines to make him drowsy as then he will not go to sleep naturally.I think that I should also mention that he is breast feeding and eats extremly well .he is rather intelligent and does things that children he's age don't do ..pleeeeeeaaase help ...

Granma, the best would to have a paediatrician make sure that there isn’t an underlying problem that is keeping him awake as 18 month old children can’t go a whole day (never mind three quarters of a night) without sleep. Good luck.