Question
Posted by: Rookie skydiver | 2008/01/29

Skydiving nerves

Dear CyberShrink,

I recently started skydiving - done 6 jumps - Accelerated free fall from 11 000 feet. Please can you give me advice on how to calm my nerves as I'm scared before each jump. I understand this reaction is normal but I would really like advice on managing fear. All the motions I go through before the jump ie. booking pre-manifest, arriving at the club, waiting period prior to load and the trip to altitude makes me so nervous! I believe utilising positive thinking techniques can be beneficial but I don't know how to go about it.

Thanks a million
blue skies

Do you really have to do sky-diving, if you don['t enjoy it ? Surely thatg is optional in life, rather than compulsory ? CBT at most ( ahich is efficient positive thinking and more ) , as ANY medication could dangerously slow your reaction-times, etc., which could be fatal.

2
Posted by: Villian | 2008/01/30

The nerves before the jump is the best part!! My opinion is that the nerves will never really go away, there will always be that excitement and build up to the jump. I'm sure if you ask the pro's who've done 5000 jumps will tell you that they also have a some nerves before they jump, not fear, but the excitement of the whole thing.

Stop being a -|- and jump!!!!!

Reply to Villian
Posted by: SR | 2008/01/29

Just relax, its fun .... best part is lining the chute up against the wind and then pulling back on the toggles for that soft landing. The guys in the hanger have packed your chute and done safety checks, the pilot has the responsibility of not only you but the rest of your crew jumping and all you have to do is to go through the procedures as you were trained.

Sky Diving nowadays is the same as it was 20 years ago except that they dont have PC's (Para Commando's) and Pumpkins anymore :)

Enjoy the rush of it .... relax

Reply to SR