Posted by: Janet | 2008/10/28

Skipping rope

I read that you said skipping rope is a good exercise. I currently walk about 5km per day (about 1 hour), but would like to do something new. How long should I skip to get the same benefits (kj burned).

Dear Janet
There is nothing wrong with walking - that is still the top exercise for losing weight, provided you increase how fast and far you walk as you get fitter. It is also easier on your joints. Skipping is also good and I usually suggest it as an alternative to those Readers who cannot go for walks for safety reasons or time constraints. You also need to skip for 30 min and whatever you do start slowly and gently and only for about 10 min a day. Then as you get used to the exercise, start skipping longer and faster.

Posted by: erika | 2008/12/01

Reply to erika