Question
Posted by: KITTY | 2008/06/11

SKIPPING ROPE

Hi there.

I read your answer on skpping on posting 247. Now I want to start incorporating skipping with my cardio routine. Only thing I want to now is, is there preffered footwear for skipping. Should I do it barefoot, or with my running shoes?? Or is there another type of shoe one can wear for skipping? Does it really matter at all what shoes you wear?

HI Kitty

Good question. I could probably argue it both ways, and give reasons why either is good, and why either is bad!

So that probably means there's no ideal or "right" way to do it. One thing I can answer definitely is that there is no special shoe to skip in!

As for the debate around barefoot vs. shoes, I think a lot will depend on the surface you jump on. If it is a soft, forgiving surface, then barefoot might be good, because you'll strengthen your foot a bit more, and you'll use the calves perhaps a little more than in shoes. However, if you're jumping on concrete or any really hard surface, barefoot would be a bad idea! My advice is to try it first in the running shoes, and see what it is like. I know from skipping myself that the burning feeling in the calves is usually the first sign that you're working hard. And of course, you want to work hard, but you might try to jump in shoes and barefoot and see which you find more manageable, and why? For example, you may find that in shoes, the arches of your feet burn like crazy - this is common, caused by the rigid shoes and the work of your calf. That might disappear when barefoot, but then you might find that your achilles tendon hurts! So do a little experiment, and try both, over the course of a week (alternate one day shoes, one day barefoot) and see what you find!

Ross