Question
Posted by: Ben | 2004/02/06

Skipping meds

Hi doc,

I started with ARV's two months ago and never skipped taking my pills but yesterday for some reason I forgot to take my 3TC & Zerit at 9 am. When I noticed my stupidity it was already 18h00 and I immediately took it. The problem is that my 12 hour cycle for taking the drugs is 9 am and 21h00, so to get back into the cycle I took it again at about 23h30 and the next morning (today) at 9 am.

I took the 3rd partner , stocrin, as usual at 21h00. I have never skipped or even taken it later than 21h00.

What are the risks involved? I know that the virus can build up resistance when you skip your meds but need to know if I'm doomed now.

I set my watch, cellphone, clock, computer to remind me but yesterday was just one of those days and I am really worried. It took me some time to get over the side effects and I don't want to change meds due to stupid neglect.

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

It is very bad to skip treatment but it is not the end of the world. You are right you can develope resistance if you do this especially if you continue doing so. There is nothing you can do aboat it now , just continue taking it correctly.