Question
Posted by: MM | 2007/07/09

Skipping

I wonder is skipping good excersise? How does it compare to running or cycling?

Hi MM

It's really high intensity, which is both good and bad. It's quite a common question and I always give more or less the same advice. The benefit of skipping is its high intensity - you'll know from experience, I'm sure, that skipping for 5 minutes is pretty tough. But this is also the problem - you need to build more time up than just this and my experience is that people can't skip enough to make the most of it. Your goal should be to do between 30 and 45 minutes of exercise, and skipping doesn't make this easy, because it's so high intensity and creates such localized fatigue in the calf muscles, it's really a difficult one to do for longer.

So my opinion is that you have to build skipping into your programme, which also consists of running, cycling or whatever you choose, it can't be the focus.